Tuesday, April 26, 2011

M1A1 Carbine

The M1A1 Carbine is a light compact rifle used in the United States Military from 1938 until after the Korean war. It is a light compact rifle for it has a length of 904 mm. and it weighs 2.36 kg. empty. It takes a small 7.62x33mm. cartridge. Of coarse it could be modified to different cartridges but it was originally manufactured with this cartridge. It is a really interesting rifle because it was originally built to replace handguns until folding and wooden stocks were attached to these "pea shooters." They were light and easy to carry, but the problem was that it was a small weapon and it didn't inflict heavy damage on human opposition. "I then saw a German running helmet-less through a trench and I could see his head above the snow. I aimed down my peep-sights, fired, and hit him near the fore-head. A minute later, I saw the same man running into the woods. Although he was cut down, I now have seen the unreliability of this rifle." This was an account taken by a soldier who fought in the Battle of The Bulge. The story reflects on the unreliability of this classic weapon.
Same M1 carbine, right side.

No comments:

Post a Comment